- Toph Marshall on What Kind of Rope Makes the Best Gift? Martial 4.70.1
- Toph Marshall on Making Change for a Tripod
- Michael Hendry on What is the First Poem in Martial, Book I?
- Michael Hendry on Books For Sale
- Gene O'Grady on Books For Sale
Tag Archives: puns
Today’s paper is another (quadrisyllabic) Persïanum. The PDF is here.
After working on three different notes on Martial, I decided to finish one of my (quadrisyllabic) Persïana for today’s paper. Though allusively written, this one is not appropriate for younger readers, and may be found here in PDF form.
Any problems in this little poem are exegetical – there are no significant variants: Quae legis causa nupsit tibi Laelia, Quinte, uxorem potes hanc dicere legitimam. As a punch-line, the pentameter, particularly the last word, seems rather flat. I suspect … Continue reading