Three early Fellini movies (Le Notti di Cabiria, La Strada, and I Vitelloni) list one of the workers as ‘Narciso Vicario’. This must be a pseudonym. According to IMDB, he is also named Vicario Narciso, Narciso Vicari, and Narcisio Vicario, and the variability of the name increases my suspicions. Of course, the most interesting point is to speculate on what exactly a ‘vicarious Narcissus’ would be: someone who falls in love with other people? Would that make it a fancy equivalent of Everyman? Or is some kind of metatheatrical joke involved?
- Toph Marshall on What Kind of Rope Makes the Best Gift? Martial 4.70.1
- Toph Marshall on Making Change for a Tripod
- Michael Hendry on What is the First Poem in Martial, Book I?
- Michael Hendry on Books For Sale
- Gene O'Grady on Books For Sale